Tuesday, March 11, 2014

[Product Review] Square Snacks


Company: Square Snacks

Review

Product: Square Snacks
Vegan/Vegetarian/Gluten-Free?: Vegetarian, dairy-free, whey-free, soy-free, peanuts-free, wheat-free, nut-free and corn-free







I got the pleasure of reviewing Square Snacks, a line of healthy on-the-go energy snacks created by a Torontonian nutritionist. These snacks meant to be that quick bite to eat before having your next meal. Square Snacks emphasizes on giving you all the nutrients your body needs and being the simple energy bar. They are created with basic ingredients that are fresh and wholesome. So far, they have two lines: 3 pm Snacks and Marvellous for Mom Snacks (which will be discontinued soon and all flavours will be integrated into 3 pm Snacks). 3 pm Snacks have three flavours: Fruit and Nut Boost, Hazelnut Cherry, and Cocoa Cravings. In their Marvellous for Mom Snacks, there's only one flavour which is Chocolate Coconut. I had the chance to review all except for their Hazelnut Cherry. All the snacks are 25 g with 100-110 calories each!

Square Snacks are currently available in many independent cafes, such as Black Canary Espresso Bar, Rise Espresso, Jimmy's Coffee, and Si Espresso Bar. They are also available on campus at Ryerson University, Humber College, St. Michael's College at University of Toronto and George Brown. They are being sold for $1.50 per square. Some grocery stores, such as Whole Foods and The Big Carrot on Danforth, carry them as well. Square Snacks are aiming to be available in private gyms soon. A couple of the products have been featured in Munch Better, a subscription healthy snack box that gets delivered to your door every month.

To test out the Square Snacks, I did what they were intended for by taking them on-the-go. The first one I had was the Fruit and Nut Boost, which I took with me to the Justin Timberlake concert mid-February. The first thing I noticed about the snack and could describe it in one word is: raw. As mentioned earlier, the squares are made only with basic ingredients so you could tell from just eating it. It was fruity and chewy but I didn't taste a lot of nuts as much as I expected.

The next one I tried was Cocoa Cravings. I was craving for food despite having a hearty dim sum meal earlier. So I wanted to see if Cocoa Cravings was going to ease my hunger. Unfortunately, I was hungry again after anyway! This square is definitely for people who love cocoa.

The last bar I had was during a meeting was the Chocolate Coconut. The coconut taste was not as strong, which I was glad for because I'm not always a fan of coconut. I thought this bar was the most similar to most energy bars out there in terms of taste.

The squares are definitely not for people with huge appetites. Despite having a bar to satisfy my hunger on all three accounts, I got hungry again pretty quickly. I do know though that I usually require something substantial before I stop craving. So I'd need at least three of these bars if I wanted to stop being hungry for a short period of time! However, I know that there are people out there that would only need one square and they are good to go!

Thank you Square Snacks for the samples provided for this review! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment